Are you curious about what is a CBD massage? CBD massage is more like a traditional massage using CBD rubs, creams, or oil. It offers a unique blend of relaxation and therapeutic benefits.
In normal massage, a therapist kneads your muscles with different amounts of pressure. In CBD massage, they just use CBD topical products like oil, or rubs to continue the regular massaging task.
Cannabidiol or CBD is an extracted compound from a cannabis plant that’s non-psychoactive and non-intoxicating and has many therapeutic benefits such as pain reduction, improved sleep quality, and reduced stress and anxiety. Now, just imagine experiencing the soothing touch of a massage combined with the potential healing properties of CBD.
In this blog, we’ll explore what is CBD infused massage, their types, CBD massage benefits, and how they work.
What is a CBD Massage?
A CBD massage is a therapeutic experience where CBD-infused oils, creams, and rubs are used during a traditional massage. Nowadays, anyone can find CBD products for massage from a physical or online CBD store.
However, the skilled hands of a therapist working on your muscles with the added benefit of CBD can be a celestial experience. This non-psychoactive compound from the cannabis plant is known for its potential to reduce inflammation, soothe anxiety, and ease chronic pain.
Note that CBD comes from the same marijuana plant which people use as recreational drugs. But it won’t induce a “high” feeling; it’s the THC, another compound in cannabis, that’s responsible for that sensation. Instead, CBD targets receptors in your skin, sending messages through your nervous system to bring your body back to balance. This makes it an excellent addition to a massage for a more holistic healing experience.
Different Types of CBD Massage
When it comes to CBD massages, there’s a variety of techniques to choose from. You can opt for a gentle Swedish massage for relaxation or go for a deep tissue massage to tackle stubborn muscle tension.
Sports massages are excellent for athletes seeking full-body relief, while aromatherapy massages combine fragrant essential oils with CBD for relaxation.
Let’s explore different types of cannabidiol massage therapy in the following sections.
1. Relaxation CBD Massage: CBD infused massage can be a gentle, full-body massage that incorporates CBD massage oils or creams to enhance relaxation and reduce stress. This is often chosen for its calming and soothing effects.
2. Pain Relief CBD Massage: This type of cannabidiol massage targets specific areas of the body where an individual is feeling persistent pain or tension. CBD-infused products are used to potentially heal pain and inflammation in the targeted area.
3. Deep Tissue Massage: CBD deep tissue massage focuses on the deep layers of muscle and fascia. When combined with CBD, it can provide intense relief for muscle tension, and chronic pain.
4. Sports Massage with CBD: Athletes often look for sports massages that integrate CBD to help with recovery, reduce muscle soreness, and prevent injuries. CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties particularly help in this scenario.
5. Fascial Massage with CBD: Some CBD massage spas offer CBD-infused facial massages to improve skin health, reduce inflammation, and promote relaxation. This message can rejuvenate and moisturize the facial skin.
6. Trigger point massage: Trigger points are areas of muscle stiffness that are commonly present in the head and neck and can lead to headaches. A massage therapist will apply varied intensities of pressure to the area to help reduce tension during a trigger point regular massage.
7. Aromatherapy massage: It combines CBD oils with pleasant essential oils such as lavender oil, chamomile oil, and peppermint oil to encourage relaxation, improve moods, and relieve pain.
8. Thai massage: This massage is blended with acupressure, Ayurvedic principles, and assisted yoga poses to ease discomfort and tension while also improving flexibility, circulation, and energy levels.
Please note that the effectiveness and experience of these massages may depend on the therapist’s skill and the quality of the CBD products.
CBD Massage Benefits
The health benefits of a CBD massage are remarkable. Not only do you get all the advantages of a traditional massage, but the addition of CBD amplifies the effects. It can help ease muscle tension, which makes it perfect for those stubborn knots in your neck or shoulders.
CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties work efficiently in reducing pain and soreness. Plus, it can improve skin health, leaving you with a radiant glow. This natural compound also has the potential to promote relaxation, reduce anxiety, and even enhance your mood.
Here is a list of benefits of CBD massage (Via WebMD):
- Making you feel more at ease.
- Reducing pain and soreness
- Reducing stress
- Improving Your Immune System
- Joint inflammation reduction
- Circulation stimulation
- Reducing anxiety by improving your sleep
- Improving Mood
So, if you’ve been dealing with stress or are simply in need of some pampering, a CBD massage could be just what you’re looking for.
How Does CBD Work in a Massage?
When CBD oil or cream is applied to your skin, it’s absorbed and enters your bloodstream. From there, it gets dispersed throughout your body, working its magic. CBD acts as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory. Thereby, CBD reduces pain and inflammation when used topically.
Typically, CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). Again, it interacts with the receptors in your skin and sends signals through your nervous system. These messages help restore balance in your body, which is particularly beneficial if you’ve been dealing with stress or physical discomfort.
This natural compound essentially acts as a calming agent, bringing relief to sore muscles and joints. It’s this unique interaction that makes CBD a perfect complement to the hands of a skilled massage therapist.
Side Effects of Using CBD Topicals in Massage
Massage with CBD oils or cream can lead to some common but mild side effects. However, these side effects may vary from person to person. Most of the CBD product’s side effects depend on the user’s weight, metabolism, gender, age, and medical conditions.
It’s important to note that CBD topical products are generally well-tolerated. Also, a daily dose of 600 mg to 1500 mg of CBD can be ingested safely.
Here is a list of common side effects of using topical CBD products in massage:
- Skin Irritation
- Dry mouth
- Decreased Appetite
- Mood Changes
- Change in Liver Enzyme
Of note, CBD products have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It means there is a lack of standardized regulations. This can lead to variations in CBD content or the presence of other substances like THC.
It’s also essential to consider how CBD may interact with any medications you’re currently taking. Also, if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s advisable to avoid any form of CBD.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some queries asked by searchers regarding “CBD or cannabidiol massage”. We’ve answered these questions to provide more insights.
Is CBD massage legal?
CBD has only trace amounts of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) that fall within the legal framework in most jurisdictions. However, it is essential to research and abide by local regulations.
Will CBD massage make me feel high or intoxicated?
CBD is non-psychoactive which means it does not produce the euphoric or intoxicating effects associated with THC. So you are not going to feel high or intoxicated.
Can anyone receive a CBD massage?
Generally, massage with CBD is safe for most individuals. However, it is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional if you have specific health concerns or are pregnant.
How long do the effects of CBD or cannabidiol massage last?
The duration of this massage effects can vary depending on factors such as dosage, individual metabolism, and the specific massage techniques used. Generally, the effects may last for a few hours to a day.
Can I use CBD infused massage oil at home?
You can massage with CBD oil at home for self-massage or with a partner. Ensure you choose a high-quality product and follow proper guidelines for application.
The Bottom Line
Hope this blog answers your question “What is a CBD massage?” To sum up, skilled therapists use CBD-infused oils and creams to enhance relaxation and target specific areas of pain or tension.
Unlike THC, CBD won’t make you feel high. It works by interacting with receptors in your skin, promoting balance and holistic healing. There are various types of massages, and each offers unique benefits, from relaxation to pain relief. The health benefits include reduced pain, stress, and anxiety, improved immune system, and improved mood.
Sometimes, using CBD topicals or CBD massage oil may lead to mild side effects, so you should consult a healthcare professional, especially if you have specific health concerns.